Ford Maintenance 101
- How many miles can I go before my Ford needs an oil change?
- Most new vehicles can go 5,000 miles between oil changes, but you can always check your owner’s manual for more specific information about your vehicle and when you will be due for specific types of services. If you are unable to find your owner’s manual, we can help you determine the intervals when you call into our service center.
- When should I replace my car battery?
- To better determine when you should change your battery, you will want to check the warranty date on it. The letter stands for the months (A for January, B for February, etc.) and the number stands for the year. If you see D18, then is means April 2018. You should change your battery before this date to ensure that you don’t end up with a dead battery and stranded somewhere. Additionally, you can have your battery checked at our service center to make sure it is functioning properly.
- What if my vehicle doesn’t start?
- When your vehicle will not start, there are a few things that could be the issue such as a dead battery, a bad alternator, or a bad starter. It could even be a bad sensor or a stretched or broken timing belt. If it is the starter or dead battery, you will hear a click when you try to start the ignition. To determine which it is, you can use a voltmeter to check the battery. When the vehicle is off, it should show 12 volts. When you turn the key to start the vehicle, it shouldn’t drop below 10.50 volts and if it does, then it is most likely the battery.
- What if my “Service Engine Soon” light turns on?
- When this light comes on, we recommend that you bring it to our service center to have it checked. We have a special code reader to properly diagnose the problem for you.
- How often do I need to buy or replace tires?
- The answer for this question really depends on how you drive, the type of tires you have, and the terrain you drive on. Your tires will wear faster on surfaces like gravel. If the tires are made with softer rubber or are considered to be highway tires, they will also wear faster. Every tire has an expected number of miles it is expected to last. However, you should always keep an eye on your tires for signs of wear, imperfections, or low pressure. If you notice that the tread is with the wear bars, then it is time for new ones.
- Do I need to align my tires when I get new ones?
- Getting your tires aligned is always a good idea. If you are showing an uneven wear pattern, then it is time to get the alignment checked.
- What kind of tires should I get?
- When it is time for new tires, you should tell us about the kind of driving you do, where, how much, and if you drive on rough surfaces regularly. Based on this information, we will be able to best determine the right tires for you.
- When should I replace my belts and hoses?
- There is no hard and fast rule for replacement. You will want to replace them when they are getting soft or are showing cracks. Additionally, if they are showing dry rot signs, are shiny on the bottom, or if the tensioner cannot keep tension in the belt, it is time to replace them.
- What is the difference between OEM and generic parts?
- OEM parts are original equipment manufacturer parts and they are made by the manufacturer. Generic parts are not made by Ford but are made to fit your vehicle. While they may fit, they do not have the same quality that you get with OEM parts. We only use OEM parts for all services here at Athens Ford so you know you are getting the best quality at all times.
- Technology has come a long way in recent years for your vehicle. One system that is very popular is SYNC. SYNC is designed to connect you with your vehicle as well as the road, your friends, and more.
- What Are the Features of SYNC?
- At the core of the capabilities for SYNC, you are able to use your voice to make commands. You can do things such as make a call, text someone, put on your favorite music, and more. The beauty of this is that you are able to keep your eyes focused on the road at all times. Beyond that, you can even connect some of your favorite apps using the AppLink component. If you prefer to listen to music using Pandora, you can do that by connecting the app and then using some of the app functions using your voice. Like a song? Just say “thumbs-up” and you will have added a thumbs up to the song on your Pandora account.
- Safety Component
- One of the best things about SYNC is that it will be there for you in case of an emergency. Included with the technology is 911 Assist at no extra charge. You can connect your phone to SYNC and 911 Assist can call for help if you need it or in case of an accident. It will make the call even if you are unable to and you will get the help that you need.
- For more information about SYNC and setting it up, be sure to call us today.